Welcome to my very first monthly favourites post where I talk about all the bits and pieces I’ve been loving throughout the past month! Every month I’ll include some beauty favourites as I’m always trying out something new or rediscovering an old favourite, plus some random and non-materialistic favourites will be thrown in too. So let’s jump straight into it!
Since the first of January I have been in love with Chi Chi‘s “Drop Dead Gorgeous” lipstick! I think it’s a beautiful dark pinky purple shade that suits my skin tone better than pure berry shades. I can see myself wearing it throughout Autumn and Winter too, so I think this item will pop up in another monthly favourites during the year! I even dedicated an entire blog post to reviewing a bunch of Chi Chi lipsticks, so you can read that one here!
My second favourite is a bit tricky to explain, and it’s the Maybelline “The Nudes” eyeshadow palette. I swatched this at home and saw that it had pretty bad pigmentation and was let down, then the next day tried it out properly on the eyes and actually quite liked it! It’s not the best palette in the world, and if a friend of mine who already owned Chi Chi and Too Faced palettes asked if it was worth purchasing I would say no, but I think it’s a fantastic introduction into eyeshadow for someone just starting out in makeup! It also reminds me heaps of the Urban Decay Smoky palette and think the colours look wonderful for Winter. I don’t use the sponge brush it comes with though I use my normal eyeshadow brushes. I mentioned this palette in my “Mini Afforable Makeup Haul” and “A Beginners Guide To Makeup Products” blog posts, so you can read up on those as well if you missed them or want to know more about this palette.
My last beauty favourite for this month is a rediscovered holy grail product which I actually found and wore just the other day but I was so blown away by the results I just had to sneak it into this months post. It’s the Revlon Colourstay foundation for Oily/Combination Skin in the shade 150 Buff and I am loosing my mind all over again. This was actually the first foundation I ever wore and I used it for years up until I decided to switch things up and try the Maybelline Fit Me foundation (and then a bunch of other foundations, and then I went back to Fit Me, and now we’re here). I personally find this foundation to have a super high coverage but also an incredibly lightweight feel, which is hard to find. I find it makes my skin look flawless but also natural, which is something I don’t normally experience! I love this so much I’m even thinking of doing a separate blog post on it because I could honestly talk about this foundation for hours.
If you have a Goodreads account you’ll know about the annual “Reading Challenge” in which you can challenge yourself to read a certain number of books in a year and Goodreads helps track your progress. I love the tracking feature and this challenge really motivates me to read instead of just scrolling through my tumblr dashboard. This year I’ve challenged myself to read 30 books after I only got around to reading 5 books last year (Year 12 was very hectic please forgive me)! This month I read “All The Bright Places” by Jennifer Niven after seeing and hearing so many recommendations from everyone I know, and I really enjoyed it! I think it’s a great book with such interesting characters and a really simple yet interesting plot. It deals with themes like mental illness really well (don’t worry that’s not a spoiler!) and is definitely one to add to your “to read” list if it’s not there already. It’s one of those books I wish I had read earlier when my sister recommended it to me but I just never gave it time!
My second “book” favourite isn’t a novel but my 2016 weekly planner! I mentioned this in my “Getting Organised For 2016” blog post and I’m pleased to say I use it every single day and can’t see myself stopping anytime soon! I think the secret to keeping up with a planner and not abandoning it a week later is to always have something to write in it. I plan when I’m going to shoot, edit, write, and post my different blog posts, plus scribble down any new ideas I have in my head, so that’s kept me going. I’ve also been writing down important university dates in there as well and even though I’m finding that a slightly daunting new stage in life the whole planner thing is making it look manageable.
When I went away for a weekend at the beach with my friends earlier this month “Mansard Roof” came on and my love for Vampire Weekend came back! They’re one of my favourite bands, however I only have their newest album “Modern Vampires of the City” on my iPhone, and all their older songs on this giant iPod in my room which I always forget about and never listen to. I finally got their first album “Vampire Weekend” onto my iPhone and have been loving all their old songs again. My favourites off their first album are “Mansard Roof”, “Oxford Comma”, “Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa”, “Campus” and “Walcott”.
Even though I love makeup, I also want to use my blog as a little place to look back and reflect on my life and think doing this monthly will be a nice way to do things. Here’s a list of things I loved this month that I can’t include in a flatlay!
- We had two rainy days this week and I got all dressed up nice and winter like (my favourite season) and went shopping (my favourite activity) with my mum and sister (my favourite people) and I really enjoyed that as my sister lives four hours away and we can’t do that all the time.
- When my Sephora order arrived super fast! I’ve never ordered off their site before and bought my Zoeva brushes off them thinking it would take 2 weeks when it only took around 2 or 3 days!
- Getting a second Instagram repost from @ZoellaBeauty AND having them and @BeautyTanyaBurr follow my Instagram account. My original photo on my account hit 479 likes while the photo on the @ZoellaBeauty account hit 29,163 likes. I couldn’t believe my eyes when she regrammed the photo the first time and now it’s happened again! Thank you so much Zoe! Also congratulations on hitting 10 million subscribers! Eeeeeee!
- Getting into my first choice University to study Journalism, my first choice degree, was definitely a favourite of mine! My course is an OP 1 – 5 guarantee, so when I got an OP 4 I knew I was in, but getting the university offer and enrolling in all my units just made it all official.
- How on top of my blog I’ve been. My sister warned me that posting three times a week could be a bit much, but I’ve actually found it easy to have a post thought of, shot, edited, written, uploaded, and published, plus have corresponding Instagram posts going up three times a week (thanks planner!). I know I won’t be able to keep this up when university starts and I’m hoping to cut back to just once a week with sneaky bonus posts happening every now and then, but for the time being I’m just going to try and post as much as I can!
- My decision and determination to improve my health with small daily habits. At the start of this month I just found myself so tired and sluggish and wondered why I was feeling like this as I’m not going to school everyday or working or doing anything really. My mum and I based it on the fact that I just don’t have a routine anymore, so to combat that I’ve set myself an alarm every morning as I don’t naturally wake up early, plus I’ve been pushing myself to try and get to bed early at the same time every night. On top of this I’ve increase my daily water intake, cut out soft drink, and swapped foods like Nutella for peanut butter and avocado during snack times. And I’ve felt a difference! I’m really happy with myself as I’m feeling more awake, more energised, and am feeling more accomplished each day. I know the small changes I made were quite obvious, but when you go through a big change like finishing school it’s hard to get into a routine. I’ve also been going for daily walks and will be starting ballet again once the term commences, so I can’t wait for that.
- Hazel Hayes, aka one of my favourite YouTubers, published her last vlog “December” in her 2015 monthly vlog series Time Of The Month a few days ago, and it was just freaking amazing. I love her so much and have fangirled about her and her life with my friend Molly and I highly, highly, highly recommend going to her channel, watching her “January” vlog, and continuing on and watching the whole thing. It’s like a beautiful, realistic, wonderful, almost “romcom” like documentary by a woman who has such a gift for storytelling and directing. I can’t even form proper sentences anymore. Insert all the clapping, heart eyes and crying emojis here. Hazel, I know you’ll never read this but I love you so much and thank you for creating your Time Of The Month series!
I think it’s very easy to compare ourselves to others or brush off our accomplishments or small things we’ve enjoyed, but it’s so important to remember the things in life that make you happy. Whether it’s getting into university or a nice chilly day where you got to rug up in a nice outfit or just being proud of yourself for drinking enough water today, anything you think is worth celebrating is definitely worth celebrating. Now that I think about it I think that’s the whole premise for this blog, just enjoying and celebrating what makes you happy, whatever it is. This was my first monthly favourites post and I hope you enjoyed it. Please give this post a “like” if you did and leave a comment with what you loved this month in the comments below!
All the love and thank you for reading,